Monday 12 November 2012

Nick: Contributing to Cyrila's Story

As a college student and native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, I traveled to Belize on a whim; my overcommitted school schedule needed a rest. And so, as a part of the Creation Care Studies Program in Santa Elena, I began delving into Belizean culture, ultimately joining Cyrila's Chocolates for a November internship. Today, I feel compelled to share my experience, hoping to develop an even greater awareness of this one-of-a-kind business venture.

When I first arrived in San Felipe, a small Mayan village just outside of Punta Gorda, I was welcomed by owners Juan and Abelina Cho. Almost instantly, I felt at home. My co-intern and I settled in with a traditional Mayan meal, a tour of the facilities, and an introduction to life in San Felipe. I sensed the couple's passion almost immediately; they love what they do, care about their visitors, and dream big. I was thrilled to be a part of the process.

Over the next two weeks, I learned the chocolate-making system and began assisting Juan with public relations, marketing, and business duties. Time and time again, I was encouraged by the couple's obsession with sustainability, commitment to running an ethical business, and dedication to others. As tours came through and interested shoppers knocked on the door, I witnessed a passion in Cyrila's buyers that I have not seen elsewhere. They weren't just curious, or in need of chocolate; they believed in what Juan and Abelina were doing, and wanted to provide as much support as possible.

Now nearly two weeks later, I get it. Cyrila's isn't about selling chocolate, or making a profit, or even developing a farming enterprise. Instead, they want to educate others while staying true to their roots. Perhaps this is why Cyrila's buyers approach the door with passion and excitement; because they, too, know the story behind this humble business.

No comments:

Post a Comment